Nathan and I have the opportunity to work while raising Theo. We have found a daycare that works for right now and we are loving the time we do watch Theo but also enjoy the time that we have to work and focus on our professional career.
Depending on how your family situation is, some of you may work and some of you may not, and you may full stay at home parents. At the end of the day, what I say always is, “you do you.”
There are so many reasons why parents do what they do, and here is one of our reasons for not having him full time, I have never raised a kid before, I am not sure what to do with him on a day to day basis! I mean I have a general idea of what I should be doing based on research and mom intuition.
With that being said, here are some ideas that I have that might help you also play with your little one, including in order for activities we doing the day (our typical Saturday and Sunday routine):
- 8AM: Wake up and eat (30 min-1 hour), Spoon feeding and bottle feeding: I take the time to teach Theo about food and the ingredients, I like to make a story and talk about where food comes from and when I can’t get creative with my story telling, there is always YouTube or books you can read up on and speak to! Make this fun too, make airplane, train sounds or gurgling sounds and “nom nom nom” sounds. This can be an auditory and tasteful event for your little one, make it fun! And educational!
- 9AM: Clean and play in high chair (30 min), Your baby needs enough time to let their food digest so they don’t spit up. If you immediately put your baby on the ground they could potential roll on their bellies and spit up. I like to put a couple softy toys like soft stacking rings and practice stacking/ unstacking them. Theo likes to watch and then play with these and eat them. It keeps him entertained for 30-45 minutes!
- 9:30AM: Theo has enough control to jump in a jumper. Keep in mind the age range that is listed on the toy, as always know your baby, but Theo does just find with his head and standing control so he can use an activity Jumper. I like to do this after he eats because it allows him to again, stay off his belly. He would stay in this all day! This gives you a break to put away the highchair and take care of any other cleanup from eating. Let your little one jump and jump and jump. If you have an activity spinner they can stay entertained for about 30 min-1 hour. How long should they stay in it? Probably only 30 min but I keep him in it for 1 hour, maybe work your baby up to this timeframe.
- 10:30AM: Floor time. I put Theo on his activity play mat with some toys dangling above him. He lays down and rolls around in the activity mat for an hour (1 hour). If he gets fussy I climb in with him to show him and tell him stories about the different toys that dangle above him.
- 11:30AM Pre-nap feeding: if your baby is starting to get fussy, as Theo usually does, Theo usually takes a nap by this point, but he likes to have 2-3 ounces of milk to go to sleep. Feed and put your little one down in their crib for a good solid nap.
- 11:45-1:30PM Nap time: take the time during the nap to make lunch and set up for the afternoon. I like to have different stations/ ideas already in the works, like setting up the high chair or a music area.
- 1:30PM Feeding: place your little one in their high chair and try to feed the rest of the jar from before the nap. Top off the meal with formula or breastmilk. Feed until your baby is full.
- 2:00PM Practice sitting: I went ahead and bought a seat for Theo, so he can practice sitting on his own in his own chair. This toy allows him to sit independently without me, and to also have a few toys in his grasp. This is essential so he can work on his own to pull things up and practice grabbing and passing items between both hands.
- 2:30-3:30 Story Time: Keep your little one in their seat, and read them a few stories. Increase the amount of time that you doing this activity. Story time is a bit easier when they are locked into a spot, the only thing they can do is either play with the toys on the seat or listen to you!
- 3:30-4:30 Snack time: Theo is really hungry and we do another jar and 4-6 ounces of formula in between activities and he usually likes to have another meal before we move onto the next thing!
- 4:30-5:30 Practice sitting up with you: It is important to consistently practice siting with your little one around this age so they can continue to physically develop. I have found more success in the afternoon into the evening with sitting, especially after eating. It is good to make sure they don’t lean over on their belly which can cause them to spit up.
- 5:30-6:30 Music time: Buy a xylophone and play songs they give you the music too! Even though we aren’t great at music, it is fun todo because we keep trying new things and choose to either play the music or come up with new creations. You can put your little one between your legs and play with your arms wrapped around them or play across from them.
- 6:30-7:00 Nap time: Theo usually takes a power nap, no longer than 30 minutes so he can go to bed at the right time.
- 7:00-7:30 Dinner Time: We feed Theo one last solid food meal for the day, we feed another jar and 6 ounces of food.
- 7:30- 8:00 Jumper and story time: I like to put Theo back in his jumper to burn some energy and to make sure he enjoys it and continues to jump, I read to him, sing to him or just dance with him. It is so fun to play games and tell him to, “jump, jump, jump!”
- 8:00-8:30 Bath time and feeding: We give Theo a bath 3 times a week and then give him one last bottle before putting him down for bedtime. After all the activity he is usually ready to turn in.
I hope that this “day in the life,” of Theo and our family helps to give some good ideas on how to engage and play with your little one! If you have any more ideas for me or questions on what products I am talking about, i am happy to answer any and all questions!
Thank you and happy playing! I hope that you have great days with your little ones and can find joy in all that you do!