Take care of yourself mamas! There is a lot of focus on everyone and everything else, but don’t forget that you exist too! The better you take care of yourself, the better you will feel and the better you can actually provide for everyone else.
Here are some things that I do to help take care of myself, and I hope you do too. We are currently in a time where there are a lot of things happening around us and we need to do all we can to relax, refresh and focus back on ourselves so we can continue to support the ones that matter most.
- When your little one is down for a nap, try to put them down in your bathroom and take a quick bath! I have noticed I run the water Theo falls asleep so we have a travel crib that I can put in the bathroom with us so he is close by. If they sleep in their own crib just fine, even better.
- Get a massage chair or cushion that you can put on a chair to massage your shoulders.
- Spruce yourself up, do your own nails or try a new hairdo.
- Read a book at the end of the day, write your thoughts down, journal and reflect.
- Brush your teeth a little bit longer and close your eyes, think back on your day and what made it so great. (This is oddly relaxing)
- If you have a dog, brush their hair, given them a belly rub or back scratch, spend some much needed quality time with them.
- Workout, walk or lift those 5 pound weights around. Try a new yoga video on YouTube or goof off while FaceTiming your mom or sister.
- Watch a chick-flick or rom-com on the television, make some popcorn and drink a margarita. If you don’t drink, have a diet coke! If you really want to make it feel like a spa throw some fruit in a glass of water and spray some lavender on your bed.
There is an endless list of things that you could do to take care of yourself and I don’t want to overwhelm you, but I do want to relay that you should be taking care of yourself. We need it mamas!
I am one of those people that struggles to take the time to take care of myself, but we all should. I should. My husband and I have a system. He knows that Monday night is “me time.” This means he puts Theo to bed, and he is responsible for him if he wakes up.
Do what you have to do, set aside at least one night a week where you can put all of your focus on yourself.
I hope that this has helped you and that you can take some much needed you time, and self care time. Please do share what you are currently doing to #selfcare, I would love to learn from you as well!